photography by HELS
Australian photographer Hels Orr has an uncanny knack of capturing the quirky and vibrant personality of people she meets.
Hels portrays people as a whole, as integral parts of their environment and gives the viewer an understanding of each place through her images.
Traveling extensively Hels has photographed 'at street level' intimate images of families in Bangladesh to the life of surfers in the Maldives and has an innate sense of story telling.
With a nine year strong and award winning career in photojournalism Hels is currently photographing in the varied and colourful culture of the Northern Territory, Australia and loves the challenge of capturing the personality and emotion of this unique place.
Hels Orr photographs commercially in Northern Territory with clients ranging from Sprout Creative, Tourism NT, Menzies, NT Airports, NTAFL, Hawthorn Football Club, SPUN, Transfield Services, SEDA, NT Libraries to name a few.
It's pretty simple, Hels has a way with people and takes great photographs, this combination makes her an interesting and unique voice in photography.
- Postgraduate Dip Photomedia - Edith Cowen University
- Bachelor Degree in Outdoor Education
- Current: Darwin based Freelance Photographer
- 2013 - April 2017 Photojournalist NT News
- 2008 - 2012 Photographer Messenger Newspaper
- 2014, 2015 & 2016 Nominated finalist - NT Media Awards